Watersheds provide us with many vital services every day – at no cost! This is sometimes referred to as green infrastructure or natural capital. Some of the services watersheds provide include:
- Recharge our water supply and help with droughts by collecting rainwater which flows underground into our aquifers – supplying residents and communities as well as agriculture and businesses with their water needs.
- Slow down water to prevent flooding and control erosion that can harm our fresh and ocean water bodies.
- Serve as recreational and educational places for communities and schools
- Protect public health by providing clean water and air as well as absorbing climate-damaging greenhouse gases
- Provide support to important wildlife and ecological functions